This quick tutorial accompanies the Peace, Love, Chanukah cut & sew I designed for the Spoonflower holiday gift bag contest. I used my cut-paper design which I originally used as a Chanukah card illustration. Enjoy!
- Peace, Love, Chanukah cut & sew pattern.
- Ribbon or String
- Safety pin
- Needle & thread
1. Cut out the pattern pieces along the dotted lines.
2. Place right sides together. From top of design, measure down 1" and place pins at the 1" mark on both sides. Continue pinning along the side and bottom edges.
3. Starting at the 1" mark, backstitch then continue to sew around the perimeter using a 1/4" seam allowance until reaching the 1" mark on the other side. Backstitch to secure.
4. Trim tips of the bottom corners at an angle.
5. Press seam allowances open.
6. Turn the unfinished top edge under 1/4", iron and sew.
7. Turn top edge under again, this time 3/4", iron and pin. Starting at a side seam, sew around the top of the bag, keeping seam 1/8" from bottom edge of fold. Backstitch at the start and the finish.
8. Turn bag right sides out and iron seams flat.
9. Measure anywhere from 20" - 40" of ribbon or string depending on how long you'd like the finished handle to be. Pin the safety pin through one end of the ribbon, then thread safety pin through and around top seam of bag. Pull ribbon through until both ends align, then make a knot near seam opening.
All done...time to fill it with your gift!
Just for fun, changed out the ribbon to this slightly fancier one with a silver trim. This bag is wide enough for two wine bottles!
Included in the Peace, Love, Chanukah cut & sew available through Spoonflower, follow the same instructions as listed above to make this one. Disregarding the fact that I need to practice my sewing skills.... this little bag is the perfect size for gelt. Happy Chanukah!