This is a fun and easy project to make with your kids. Even if you’re already in possession of several challah covers (including the ones brought home from pre-school and/or hebrew school), it’s always fun to mix it up - why not add this one to the rotation? You can download this tutorial as well as the templates here.
1 piece of burlap 16”x20”
navy blue felt 11”x17”
1. Remove strands from each side of burlap until you have your desired fringe length.
2. Apply thin line of glue at base of fringe around entire perimeter (to prevent fraying). Allow glue to dry.
3. Cut out paper pattern pieces and lay them out to fit on blue felt.
4. Trace around each pattern with white chalk and cut out shapes.
5. Position felt shapes on burlap using challah cover picture as guide.
6. Apply glue around perimeter of backside of each shape and press onto burlap. Glue should soak through to the backside of the burlap for best adhesion. Allow glue to dry.
7. Wasn’t that easy? Now you just need a challah to cover… Consider making extra to give as Chanukah gifts!
Easy to print 8.5”x11” templates (above).
Image placement guide (below).
For those interested in taking this project a step further, you can add detail to the design using a needle and thread as shown below. Download this version of the tutorial here.